UIL Literary Criticism Practice Packets are based on the 2019-20 topic and include general knowledge questions. Each Packet includes 6 tests and are written by veteran UIL author, Jennifer Bussey. This year's packets were also edited by UIL contest director Mark Bernier! UIL Literary Criticism Practice Packets are designed to test knowledge of literary terms, history, the reading list, as well as a student's ability to analyze and interpret various selections. Includes tiebreaker questions with answer guides. Note, these same practice tests are available in eMentor format, as well as this standard printed format!
Click here for the 2019-20 Literary Criticism Reading List on the UIL website!
UIL Literary Criticism Practice Packets for 2019-20
- Player Piano - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- The Selected Poems and Prose of Percy Bysshe Shelley - Jack Donovan and Cian Duffy, editors or Percy Bysshe Shelley: The Major Works - Zachary Leader and Michael O'Neill, editors
- Othello by William Shakespeare - Barbara A. Mowet and Paul Werstine, editors
Literary Criticism Practice Packet -overview
- 6 practice tests with answer keys based on the annual topic!
- Tests knowledge of literary terms, history, and reading ability
- Challenges analytical ability in interpreting selections
NOTE: Packet 1 is released in the Fall and Packet 2 is released in January. Packets are based on the current year's assigned reading selections.
TAPPS: Although these tests were written primarily for UIL study, these Practice Packets are appropriate for TAPPS practice meets since the topics for these competitions are the same as UIL. Please note, however, that the time allotted on TAPPS & PSIA tests differs from UIL, and the point values on LitCrit tests varies (see your competition rules for details).