Three National Spelling Bee CHAMPIONS and many runners-up have used our Spelling Crash Course program to hone their skills and to feel more relaxed and confident at the National Bee.
Thank you for your interest in our Spelling Crash Course!
Get started and try a FREE demo of our spelling eMentor!
Spelling Crash Course Dates
The National Spelling Bee is approaching FAST and Hexco's Spelling Crash Course can help you make the best of the remaining time to study.
Hexco's annual five-week Spelling Crash Course for National Spelling Bee contestants commences at the week of April 5 with three available time slots and each group will have no more than six participants.
- Crash-Group 1 - Sundays, 4-5 PM EST dates: 4/5, No class Easter Week, 4/19, 4/26, 5/3, No class on Mother's Day, 5/17
- Crash-Group 2 - Sundays, 7-8 PM EST dates: 4/5, No class Easter Week, 4/19, 4/26, 5/3, No class on Mother's Day, 5/17
- Crash-Group 3 - Thursdays, 7-8 PM EST dates: 4/9, No class Easter Week, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14
Students enrolled in this course can learn how to study faster by studying smarter. Head coach, Michelle Horton, directs all of our Crash Courses, and she has worked with Hexco for about 15 years. She is an incredibly skilled coach and educator. She has been head coach since the beginning of the program and has participated heavily in building our coaching program and improving it along the journey. Since its inception, we have coached over 250 spellers, including three National Spelling Bee Champions, and quite a number of runners-up and finalists.
Sessions are prepared in advance and adapted for each small "class" and lengthy study lists are assigned on a weekly basis. Students are all given the same assignments, and they meet via Skype for the quizzing/coaching session. This works in a round-robin format with one speller fielding a word orally while all other enter their spelling in their own file. Spellers also gain invaluable experience by taking written practice tests that are available only to Crash Course students. Participants in this course learn how to optimize their study time while developing spelling skills, and they are guided on techniques for fielding unknown words.
MAXIMIZE YOUR PERFORMANCE POTENTIAL
- Organized lessons to "study smarter"
- Unique lists of words on our Spelling eMentor that are nearly impossible to guess unless you've seen them before such as eponyms, homonyms, geographic words, words with unknown origins, etc.
- Tips on "figuring out" words based on spelling rules and word roots
- Written practice tests via eMentor Classroom to help you prepare for the national preliminary written test of the National Spelling Bee (a separate list of roots will be emailed to the parents)
- Five live "Spell Bees" during coaching/quizzing sessions
- Weekly encouragement, feedback, and assessment by email
5 WEEKS - $1750
April-May 2020 Crash Course
Each quizzing/coaching session will last 1 hour
- These are held via Skype.
- Must have Merriam Webster's Unabridged Online Dictionary (subscription, not free version)
- No make-ups/No exceptions. If students cannot attend a class, all words, instructions, and comments will be emailed to all parents and put into Google sheet for studying.
- All correspondence will take place via email and Google sheets. There is not enough time for personal "updates" by phone with individual students/parents.
- No additional resources are REQUIRED for the class, but we do recommend New Nat's Notes or New Nat's eMentor, Verbomania or Verbomania eMentor, Spelling Rules Book, Blitz List(s) or Blitz eMentor, Webster Detector, etc. for studying. These are not provided with the class and are not required.