National Spelling Bee Online Study Classes
Three National Spelling Bee CHAMPIONS and many runners-up have used our Spelling Crash Course program to hone their skills and to feel more relaxed and confident at the National Bee.
GOING FOR THE GOLD IN SPELLING!
Course dates coming soon!
1. Study smarter with intelligent eLearning software used by National Spelling Bee champs.
- Rules for spelling words from different languages weekly with lists of words to reinforce the rules and test your abilities
- Difficult to impossible to spell words not obviated by etymology, as eponyms, trademarks, words from imitative origins and unknown origins
- Latin and Greek roots to "collect" words from each and solidify the meaning and spelling of each root
- Awful words from prior National Bees that are extremely hard to spell
2. Experience synchronous learning with the coach who piloted 1/3 of all FINALISTS to the National Bee IN THE LAST 5 YEARS!
- Weekly comprehensive assignments and personalized feedback
- Selected words are all scopious so that learning about each teaches other words and ties languages and roots together
- Difficult unassigned words are given to teach skills in fielding unknown selections
- Weekly live spelling bees are conducted to prepare for the format at the National Bee and test your mettle
- 5 WEEKS - $1,550 SPECIAL (Prior years' price was $1,750)
- April-May 2021 Crash Course
SPELLING CRASH COURSE DATES
The National Spelling Bee is approaching FAST, and Hexco's Spelling Crash Course can help you make the best of the remaining time to study.
Hexco's annual five-week Spelling Crash Course for National Spelling Bee contestants commences the week of April 11 with four available time slots and each group will have four to eight participants.
- Crash-Group 1 - Sundays, 3-4 PM EST; 2-3 PM CST; 1-2 PM MST; 12-1 PM PST starting (TBD)
- Crash-Group 2 - Sundays, 7-8 PM EST; 6-7 PM CST; 5-6 PM MST; 4-5 PM PST starting (TBD)
- Crash-Group 3 - Fridays, 8:30-9:30 PM EST; 7:30-8:30 PM CST; 6:30-7:30 PM MST; 5:30-6:30 PM PST starting (TBD)
Students enrolled in this course can learn how to study faster by studying smarter. Head coach, Michelle Horton, has conducted all of our Crash Courses, and she has worked with Hexco for over 15 years. She is an incredibly skilled coach and educator. She has been head coach since the beginning of the program and has participated heavily in building our coaching program and improving it along the journey. Since its inception, we have coached over 250 spellers, including three National Spelling Bee Champions, and quite a number of runners-up and finalists.
Sessions are prepared in advance and adapted for each small "class." Students are all given the same assignments, and they meet via Skype for the quizzing/coaching sessions. This works in a round-robin format with one speller fielding a word orally while all others enter their spelling in their own file. Spellers also gain invaluable experience by taking written practice tests that are available only to Crash Course students. Participants in this course learn how to optimize their study time while developing spelling skills, and they are guided on techniques for fielding unknown words.
EACH QUIZZING/COACHING SESSION WILL LAST 1 HOUR
- These are held via Skype.
- Spellers must have Merriam Webster's Unabridged Online Dictionary (subscription, not free version).
- There are no make-ups. If students cannot attend a class, all words, instructions, and comments will be emailed to all parents and put into the speller's Google sheet for studying.
- All correspondence will take place via email and Google sheets. Mrs. Horton does not have enough time for personal "updates" by phone with individual students/parents.
- No additional resources are REQUIRED for the class, but we do recommend New Nat's eMentor or New Nat's Notes, Verbomania eMentor or Verbomania, Spelling Rules Book, Blitz eMentor or Blitz List(s), Webster Detector, etc. for studying. These are not provided with the class.