SIGN UP AND TRY A FREE SAMPLE! Get immediate access to our free samples with sign-up! Chrome or Firefox is recommended.
Each Blitz List volume contains 3,000+ highly difficult words that had never been seen in bees at the time of its release. In 2017, 84 words at the National Spelling Bee could be found in the Blitz List volumes. And though some of the words have been used in previous bees, there are many more words contained in this list that could easily appear at the national level. The Blitz Lists are ideal for students who are looking for solid lists of obscure and highly challenging words used by most of the 2012-2018 NSB winners in preparing for the Bee! In fact, 69% of finalists at the 2018 National Spelling Bee used the Blitz List.
Blitz List eMentor helps students master all the words in Blitz Lists 1, 2, and 3! This one-of-a-kind spelling mastery portal was engineered by Hexco and effectively replaces our popular Spelling Mentor, but has an attractive and responsive online interface combined with state-of-the-art memory capabilities. Excellent for those who want to learn a large number of words quickly and efficiently.
History of Blitz List and the National Spelling Bee
- Number of words from nowhere: 35%
- When Hexco recognized the high percentage of these types of words in 2011, our word wizards started organizing advanced products to fill this niche, called the Blitz Lists. We planned the release of four Blitz List volumes in total.
- Blitz List 1 was released in this year
- Number of words from nowhere: 44%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1: 17%
- The first and third place winner fielded words from Blitz List 1 to secure their positions.
- Blitz List 2 was released later this year and was available to those going to the 2013 National Spelling Bee.
- Number of words from nowhere: 45%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1 & 2 (in total): 17%
- In 2013, the top 4 all encountered a word from one of the Blitz Lists in the last few rounds. This caused the Rubicon for the third and fourth place winners, but enabled the first and second place contestants to advance.
- 2014 - Blitz List 3 was released.
- 2015 - 64 Words at the National Spelling Bee were found in the Blitz List.
- 2016 - 114 Words at the National Spelling Bee could be found in Blitz Lists 1, 2, and 3. The Blitz List had over 20% of the spelling words in the written round, and 50% of the words in Round 7.
- 2017 - In rounds 7-17, the Blitz List averaged 55% of the words given.
- Saves missed words until all words are mastered!
- Saves results when you login and log out
- Keeps track of progress
- Contains audio, phonetic pronunciations, word origins, and definitions
- Select “All Words Ever Missed” to make sure you never miss those words again!
- Perfect “All Words Missed on the Last Attempt” (Note, this means your last attempt at the word). Hint: Keep working on words in this list until you get this number down to zero words missed on the last attempt.
- Work on your “Starred Words” – While you are studying, you can “star” words that you want to study more later. (Note, you can “unstar” words at any time)
- Ask for the next letter in a word
- Ask to show the whole word if you don’t know how to spell a word
- Attempt all words in any set at any time to keep perfecting your spelling
- No need for a mouse. Just type and click 'enter' on your keyboard to go through words quickly!
- Browser-based, tracks progress for one user
- Accessible for one year from any browser on a PC or Mac computer (not recommended for phones, tablets, or Chromebooks)
- Subscription-based; good for one year from date of purchase
LEVEL: Advanced to Expert
WORD COUNT: 3,000+ per volume
Orders are processed M-F from 9:00am-3:00pm. Please check your email for login information after you order. If you have signed up for our free sample, the product you have purchased will be added to that account unless a different email address is provided.