The BLITZ Lists - 3,000 off-list words per volume! FACT: 69% of finalists at the 2018 National Spelling Bee used the Blitz List - VIEW INSIDE
A brand new word that has never been seen by a speller can stop a competitor like a deer in headlights. While many spellers can still accurately "guess" a word, the bottom line is that the more words a speller knows, the higher the chances that he or she can field that word when the time comes! Annually, there are a fair percentage of words given at the National Spelling Bee that we have called off-list words or "words from nowhere," because in the past few years, 35-45% of these words are not in any published list and have even escaped many advanced spellers -- until now. Watch this video to see where this product ranks on level of difficulty compared to other products. We also have this list in our eMentor format to help you practice these words from your computer until you perfect them!
Words in Blitz List*:
- Have not been on any 'official' Scripps' study lists for spellers going to the bee
- Have not been previously used or given at the regional or national levels
- Are not included in other Hexco products
*Applies to the date of publication per volume; some words have since appeared in bees after first publication of this book (Blitz List 1 was published in 2011).
The uniqueness of words selected for Blitz List combined with the difficulty level of words chosen for these volumes makes Blitz List a favorite of top-level spellers who have already mastered New Nat's Notes and Verbomania. From 2011-13, The Blitz Lists have reduced words from nowhere at the National Spelling Bee by nearly 40%.
Each year, one or more words from this list have appeared on the written round test as well, and other words from these volumes are scattered from Round 4 to the end of the bee. Blitz List is a powerful new weapon!
History of Blitz List and the National Spelling Bee
- Number of words from nowhere: 35%
- When Hexco recognized the high percentage of these types of words in 2011, our word wizards started organizing advanced products to fill this niche, called the Blitz Lists. We planned the release of four Blitz List volumes in total.
- Blitz List 1 was released in this year
- Number of words from nowhere: 44%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1: 17%
- The first and third place winner fielded words from Blitz List 1 to secure their positions.
- Blitz List 2 was released later this year and was available to those going to the 2013 National Spelling Bee.
- Number of words from nowhere: 45%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1 & 2 (in total): 17%
- In 2013, the top 4 all encountered a word from one of the Blitz Lists in the last few rounds. This caused the Rubicon for the third and fourth place winners, but enabled the first and second place contestants to advance.
- 2014 - Blitz List 3 was released.
- 2015 - 64 Words at the National Spelling Bee were found in the Blitz List.
- 2016 - 114 Words at the National Spelling Bee could be found in Blitz Lists 1, 2, and 3. The Blitz List had over 20% of the spelling words in the written round, and 50% of the words in Round 7.
- 2017 - In rounds 7-17, the Blitz List averaged 55% of the words given.
WHERE DID ALL OF THESE WORDS COME FROM?
Having worked with spellers in the National arena for over 30 years, we’ve collected words from a large number of sources, including our "Weird Word of the Week," various specialized lists that were swapped and traded with spellers over the years, and obtuse words that we’ve ferreted out of Webster’s Third. Recently, we’ve started editing these words, adding phonetic pronunciations and definitions and putting them in a format for publication.
IS BLITZ LIST RIGHT FOR ME?
For those students who have conquered Verbomania and New Nat’s Notes, this is the obvious next step in expanding your spelling foundation. Still, around 60+% of all Regional and National Bee words are from Verbomania and New Nat’s, but recent years have shown that 30+% are from nowhere, and this is what we have ferreted out of the dictionary and provided as a study list. Read a summary on all of our products that contain word lists here.
Note: This product is not returnable.