The BLITZ Lists - 88% of finalists at the 2019 National Spelling Bee used the Blitz List - VIEW INSIDE
A Finalist and semifinalist favorite, the Blitz List is sure to challenge you with some of the most difficult words in the dictionary! Over the last decade, a fair percentage of words seen at the National Spelling Bee had not been on any published study list, and a large number of these words have even escaped many advanced spellers - until now. Collectively, "off-list" words or "words from nowhere," have reached as high as 35-45% of all words given at the National Spelling Bee, and Hexco was the first to recognize the growing need to record and identify very difficult words that had never been used at the National Level. Since our first volume, which was released in 2011, some of these words have been seen at the National level, and we have since released Volumes 2 and 3, and Volume 4 is now available on our eMentor platform! Each volume contains 3,000 words!
Words in Blitz List*
- Had not been on any 'official' Scripps' study lists for spellers going to the bee
- Had not been previously used or given at the regional or national levels
- Are not included in other Hexco products
*Applies to the date of publication per volume; some words have since appeared in bees after the publication of each volume.
The uniqueness of words selected for Blitz List combined with the difficulty level of words chosen for these volumes makes Blitz List a favorite of top-level spellers who have already mastered New Nat's Notes and Verbomania. Watch this video to see where this product ranks on level of difficulty compared to other products. We also have this list in our eMentor format to help you practice these words from your computer until you perfect them!
History of Blitz List and the National Spelling Bee
- Number of words from nowhere: 35%
- When Hexco recognized the high percentage of these types of words in 2011, our word wizards started organizing advanced products to fill this niche, called the Blitz Lists. We planned the release of four Blitz List volumes in total.
- Blitz List 1 was released in this year
- Number of words from nowhere: 44%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1: 17%
- The first and third place winner fielded words from Blitz List 1 to secure their positions.
- Blitz List 2 was released later this year and was available to those going to the 2013 National Spelling Bee.
- Number of words from nowhere: 45%
- Percent of words from nowhere on Blitz List 1 & 2 (in total): 17%
- In 2013, the top 4 all encountered a word from one of the Blitz Lists in the last few rounds. This caused the Rubicon for the third and fourth place winners but enabled the first and second place contestants to advance.
- 2014 - Blitz List 3 was released.
- 2015 - 64 Words at the National Spelling Bee were found in the Blitz List.
- 2016 - 114 Words at the National Spelling Bee could be found in Blitz Lists 1, 2, and 3. The Blitz List had over 20% of the spelling words in the written round and 50% of the words in Round 7.
- 2017 - In rounds 7-17, the Blitz List averaged 55% of the words given.
- 2018 - 79 Words at the National Spelling Bee could be found in the Blitz List. Half of the words in Round 9 could be found in the Blitz List. 69% of National Spelling Bee Finalists used the Blitz List.
- The Blitz List had 55% of the words in Rounds 13-18 in 2019.
- Blitz List averaged 48% of the words in Rounds 7-10 at the 2019 National Spelling Bee.
- 52% of the words in Round 8 could be found in one of the Blitz List volumes.
- In 2019, 11% of all spellers had the Blitz List. This number increased to 50% of semifinalists and 88% of the finalists studied words from Blitz.
WHERE DID YOU FIND THE WORDS?
Having worked with spellers in the National arena for over 30 years, we’ve collected words from a large number of sources, including our "Weird Word of the Week," various specialized lists that were swapped and traded with spellers over the years, and obtuse words that we’ve ferreted out of Webster’s Third. Recently, we’ve started editing these words, adding phonetic pronunciations and definitions and putting them in a format for publication.
IS BLITZ LIST RIGHT FOR ME?
For those students who have conquered Verbomania and New Nat’s Notes, this is the obvious next step in expanding your spelling foundation. Still, around 60+% of all Regional and National Bee words are from Verbomania and New Nat’s, but recent years have shown that 30+% are from nowhere, and this is what we have ferreted out of the dictionary and provided as a study list. Read a summary on all of our products that contain word lists here.
Note: This product is not returnable.