Learn Etymology Efficiently
Understanding word roots and origins is often a key element in choosing the correct letters in a spelling bee! Etyma eMentor works with our Spelling eMentor program which saves progress including missed words, and you can star words, for study later. Etyma products also give examples of easy words and hard words so you can apply what you learn to practical knowledge and view words one might see in a bee! Note that this particular product has no sound due to the very, very short length of many word parts (and this just sounds "odd" in recordings!). Please sign up for a free demo to understand how this works before you buy as this purchase is non-refundable. We've included a couple of screenshots so you can see the layout!
What's Included in Etyma eMentor Latin
- Basic Latin - 150 Roots, 50 Prefixes, 25 Suffixes
- Intermediate Latin - 150 Roots, 50 Prefixes, 25 Suffixes
- Advanced Latin - 225 Roots
What's Included in Etyma eMentor Greek
- Basic Greek - 150 Roots, 50 Prefixes, 25 Suffixes
- Intermediate Greek - 150 Roots, 50 Prefixes, 25 Suffixes
- Advanced Greek - 225 Roots
- Each Spelling eMentor saves missed words until all words are mastered.
- It also saves results when you log in and log out and keeps track of your progress.
- Audio, phonetic pronunciations, word origins, and definitions are included.
- Select "All Words Ever Missed" to make sure you never miss those words again.
- Perfect "All Words Missed on the Last Attempt" to master each list. (Note that this means your last attempt at the word.)
- "Star" words that you want to study again. (Note that you can "unstar" words at any time.)
- Ask for the next letter in a word.
- Ask to show the whole word if you don't know how to spell a word.
- Attempt all words in any set at any time to continue perfecting your spelling.
- Type and click "enter" to quickly test yourself without depending on a mouse to move forward.
- Each eMentor product is browser-based and tracks progress for one user.
- All eMentors are accessible from any browser on a PC or Mac computer and mobile device.
- This product is subscription-based and is good for one year from the date of your purchase.
- NOTE THAT THIS PARTICULAR PRODUCT DOES NOT CONTAIN AUDIO!
FAQ: Why do some spellers at the bee ask for the etymology of a word? Are they just buying time?
Some are just buying time, however many have studied language patterns and Greek and Latin roots. They are fishing for clues to spell an unfamiliar word. For instance, Japanese, Spanish, Greek, and Latin words follow fairly consistent rules for spelling. Once you know these rules, and you know that a word is from one of these languages, your chance of guessing a correct spelling is increased enormously. Once you know, for instance, that the Greek root –phag- means to eat, you are equipped to spell a fairly large number of words, such as esophagus, sarcophagus, bibliophagous, and biophagous. These all appear to be 50-cent words, but they are spelled exactly like they sound once your know phag is pronounced in each of these words.
If you like this product, we also recommend: Spelling Rules Book.
Orders are processed manually by our office staff M-F from 9:00am-3:00pm. Please check your email for login information periodically after you order. If you have signed up for our free sample, the product you have purchased will be added to that account unless a different email address is provided.