A fun, group course for beginning spellers! Introduce your youngest child to the love of spelling …
MEET THE COACH - Michelle Horton
Michelle Horton is our original coach who assisted in developing the Spelling Coaching Program with Linda Tarrant. Michelle has been writing and editing products for Hexco for the past several years and has been coaching students using our new system for over seven years. Prior to coaching Hexco spellers, Michelle coached all of her children using Hexco products, and they together spelled at the National Bee a total of seven years. Michelle’s youngest, Mary, ultimately tied for fifth place at the NSB in her final attempt and has since aged out of the competition. Michelle is an expert grammarian who holds a Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education with a specialization in Chemistry. As head coach, she has developed instructions for approaching the spelling of words in various language families beyond what is in Hexco's Spelling Rules Book and has added multiple lists for many language families and beyond. Currently, Michelle is expanding the Personal Spelling Coach Program to include new areas for mastery for coaching students as well as working with Linda Tarrant to convert our current program to include coaching eMentors for the PSC program. Her positive attitude helps build excellent rapport with students as she continues to receive stellar reviews from customers who have had the opportunity to benefit from her coaching, many of whom have made it to the higher rungs of the National Spelling Bee.
· Computer, internet access, web-cam, and microphone are required as classes will be held via Skype or similar video service
· Spell Buddies 1-8 or Spell Buddy eMentor ($149-gives 1-year access to this product); 8,000 words
· Home monitoring by parent is required for this age student
· Assignments will be given weekly and will include basic studying of 3 languages, 3 topical lists, Latin and Greek roots, puzzles, Spell Buddy eMentor and additional eMentor sets
· Language patterns, spelling bee tips, root explanations, spelling bee patterns, and more will be studied weekly
$1300 for the 6-week class. A $400 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your child’s spot. Start date will be confirmed upon enrollment.
Recommended for class, but not required:Subscription to the Merriam Webster’s Online Unabridged Dictionary and the Spelling Rules Book
The class curriculum is designed to gradually teach spelling and language patterns starting with basic Greek and Latin root work and helps very young spellers begin building a basic spelling and vocabulary foundation in a fun classroom environment! We'll use entertaining puzzles and more!