A FUN, GROUP COURSE FOR BEGINNING SPELLERS!
The students will be using multiple spelling word lists provided with the coaching program in our eMentor format plus assignments in Spell Buddies eMentor ($149/combo set), which are purchased separately. Try out our eMentor for free today!
Starting Sunday, June 20, at 2:00 PM EST
INTRODUCE YOUR YOUNGEST CHILD TO THE LOVE OF SPELLING.
Wondering if your youngster is ready to enter the spelling arena? Not sure where to start? Our Bee-ginner Circle program will allow you to explore your young child's potential while working with our head spelling coach, Michelle Horton. The only requirement is that your child must know how to read. This is a fun, once-in-a-lifetime experience to excite youngsters about the world of words! This 6-week class is geared toward spellers who are new to spelling in grades kindergarten through third/fourth grade who have minimal or no bee preparation or experience or who have possibly studied Scripps' Class/School list for school bees. Candidates for this class may have studied some of the 'Words of the Champions' list, but have not spent serious time studying for spelling bees.
The format of the Bee-ginner class and assignments provide an excellent foundation and 'stepping stone' to our Personal Spelling Coaching program, which is often the next step and is somewhat more intense. Spellers in the Bee-ginner course learn many of the basics, including some language family rules, words from assignments in Spell Buddies (sold separately), words from some Latin and Greek roots, and some difficult-to-spell words.
- Class will meet for 6 weeks. Class length will be 60 minutes.
- Minimum of 3 spellers required to run the class; maximum number of spellers for a class is 10.
- Materials needed (electronic): internet access, computer with working web-cam and microphone are required as class to be held via Skype or similar video service.
- Materials needed (study materials): Spell Buddies eMentor ($149/combo set).
- Assignments will be given weekly and will include basic studying of 6 languages, 6 topical lists, roots (1 Latin, 1 Greek/week after week 4 or so of the class), and a standard assignment in Spell Buddies eMentor ($149/combo set-required purchase). Puzzles and eMentor assignments will be given weekly to aid in mastery. Schedule provided upon payment.
- Home monitoring by parent is REQUIRED for this age student.
- Language patterns, spelling bee tips, root explanations, spelling bee patterns, and more will be examined during classes with one area or more featured weekly.
- Pricing is $1300 for the 6-week class. A $400 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your child’s spot.
REQUIRED PURCHASE FOR CLASS
Spell Buddies 1-8 eMentor ($149 gives 1-year access to this product)
RECOMMENDED FOR CLASS, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
The class curriculum is designed to gradually teach spelling and language patterns starting with basic Greek and Latin root work and helps very young spellers begin building a basic spelling and vocabulary foundation in a fun classroom environment! We'll use entertaining puzzles and more!
DATES - ALL CLASSES ARE HELD ON SUNDAYS STARTING JUNE 20 AT 2:00 PM EST (1:00 PM Central; 12:00 PM Mountain; and 11:00 PM Pacific, skipping the 4th of July weekend)
MEET THE COACH
Michelle Horton is our original coach who assisted in developing the Spelling Coaching Program with Linda Tarrant. Michelle has been writing and editing products for Hexco for the past several years and has been coaching students using our new system for over ten years. Prior to coaching Hexco spellers, Michelle coached all of her children using Hexco products, and they together spelled at the National Bee a total of seven years. Michelle’s youngest, Mary, ultimately tied for fifth place at the NSB in her final attempt and has since aged out of the competition. Michelle is an expert grammarian who holds a Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education with a specialization in Chemistry. As head coach, she has developed instructions for approaching the spelling of words in various language families beyond what is in Hexco's Spelling Rules Book and has added multiple lists for many language families and beyond. Currently, Michelle is expanding the Personal Spelling Coach Program to include new areas for mastery by students in our coaching programs. Her positive attitude helps build excellent rapport with students as she continues to receive stellar reviews from customers who have had the opportunity to benefit from her coaching, many of whom have made it to the higher rungs of the National Spelling Bee.